Saturday, April 3, 2010

Location Question

I have an interesting dilemma. I can stay in a rental apartment near Bunker Hill for $170 a night or stay at one at Appleton %26amp; Clarendon for $245 a night. Is the location worth the difference?





It is a trip with my wife and my 18 year old son who likes to freelance away from his parents whenever he gets the chance.





Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks



Location Question


I vote yes. In the South End (Appleton and Clarendon) you can walk to Copley Square. To me it would be a no-brainer. For $55 more a night, I would stay there.



Location Question


Appleton and Clarendon, definitely. It%26#39;s a beautiful area.




I agree .... closer to all attractions. Also, depending on time of year, for $200+ per night, you may find other downtown options too.




Won%26#39;t comment on the location, but without knowing the maturity level and experience of your particular 18 year old, nor much about Duncan Oklahoma, I would still caution that I would not let an 18 year old ';freelance'; in Boston alone if he didn%26#39;t know big cities well, know this one in particular and it%26#39;s good/bad spots, and know how to stay out of trouble in a large urban metropolis. Even from Appleton and Clarendon, a lovely neighborhood, you could walk into some troublesome places in 10-15 minutes, particularly at night.




There are thousands of 18 year olds who move here on their own and manage to do okay. I%26#39;d think most people that age would be pretty embarassed to require a chaperone.





Despite what people seem to think, random violence doesn%26#39;t run rampant in Boston.




I wouldn%26#39;t have asked if I didn%26#39;t know the maturity level of my 18 year old....





and he%26#39;s ';freelanced'; in New York City and traveled on his own.





You don%26#39;t have to cautious me about the danger of urban cities....even though I%26#39;m from Oklahoma.





:~)




18! Heck, my 16 year old has been subwaying all over the place for a couple of years. (Not much at night though.)





He%26#39;ll be fine.




I agree with tcanterelli%26#39;s words of caution. I used to live on Pembroke Street - not far from Appleton and Clarendon. Although that was nearly 30 years ago, and things have definitely improved since then, it%26#39;s not a 100% safe area.




Wait--are you saying this based on your experiences 30 years ago?




Appelton Street is fine. I have someone who was down there the other day for an interior design job.





There is a great neighborhood watch there. People watch out for one another and call the police right away. I would be careful at night anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment