Saturday, April 3, 2010

Suggestions for gift purchases - Mid Cape

I had a question posed this weekend - a young european couple asked me where in mid-cape could they buy some multi-generational ';souveniurs'; to bring back .......I felt so inept ..........besides taking a stroll through Chatham and then also adding the typical t-shirt and xmas tree shops.



I know you all have probably a load of suggestions



Thanks



Suggestions for gift purchases - Mid Cape


The Salt Pond Visitor%26#39;s Centre in Eastham has some lovely gift items. Far superior to the ';made anywhere but the U.S souvenirs';.



Suggestions for gift purchases - Mid Cape


Also the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History gift shop and Brewster Store -- both in Brewster -- and the Potted Geranium in West Harwich.




If a visit to Nantucket is in order the gift shop at the Whaling Museum is a stand out.





I like Tale of the Cod in Chatham for gifts as well as Red Geranium.




Potted Geranium...ooops.




Oceania in Orleans has jewellery and glass/crystal amongst other lovely things made by local designers and craftspeople. Trees in Orleans is also a beautiful shop with a huge selection of tiles, an art gallery etc. I%26#39;ve also bought bookmarks made from old ivory piano keys decorated with scrimshaw designs made by an artist in Chatham but the name escapes me. I also have some ';Welcome'; signs painted by Cape Cod artists on pieces of slate. Hanging on the wall in my sunroom is a beautiful wreath made of shells, pinecones and a tiny real horseshoe crab shell, which I bought in the Christmas Joy store ( quite different from the Christmas Tree stores ) on 28 many years ago. If someone you know has a charm bracelet you can buy any number of Cape Cod related charms in gold or silver. I have a silver cranberry scoop.




Senior: Your list of stores and items is fantastic! Orleans has some great little shops and boutiques.




Thank you. Yes, Orleans, although perhaps not as blessed as Chatham with its picturesque Main street, has some very high quality shopping. Not to mention a very large Christmas Tree shop!! We do our fair share of shopping there too for all kinds of ';stuff';. Great fun. The blue and white Chinese lamps in my bedroom are from there at a fraction of the price for similar lamps in a regular store. Not to mention the steak knives we used the other night which I bought for a couple of dollars.




I enjoyed Christmas Tree Shoppes much more when they were Cape Cod based and before they were bought out by...who? I%26#39;ve forgotton, was it a Bed and Bath store? Anyway, I%26#39;ve always managed to find something I need there, usually picture frames and wine glasses.





Oceania is in a completely different category. Their things are exquisite and tend to be one of a kind rather than the mass produced stuff at the Christmas Tree Shoppe.




Thanks for all of the input - I too love the Potted Geranium in Harwich but it never came to mind.....



...... and yes FussyGuest I do agree many things have changed at the Christmas Tree Shoppes since the Bed Bath and Beyond chain bought them and close the original store on 6A - once a favorite of mine




I, too, liked the store on 6A. Every Christmas I still use the wooden trays painted with a red berried holly design which I bought there a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment