Saturday, April 3, 2010

Whale watching on larger boats

Sorry for the repeat request. I am simply trying to find out if anyone has experience with a Whale Watching boat that was larger or had more modern stablizers. I really would love to go Whale Watching but absolutely do not want to go through some of the experiences I have been reading about on TA regarding so much sea sickness. If you take a boat from a city other than Boston, to cut down the travel time, does that help?



Whale watching on larger boats


Travelfan - there%26#39;s no guaranteeing you won%26#39;t experience sea sickness - I have been on about a half-dozen whale watches - 5 out of P-town on large commerical whale-watch boats, and 1 on the West Coast out of Santa Barbara. My experience has ranged from absolutely no nausea to a ';gut-wrenching'; experience that made me vow never to return. I don%26#39;t think it makes any difference as to what city you leave from vis-a-vis travel time. If the sea is rough, you are likely to experience some form. I know that there are OTC remedies you can take to help control it, but I don%26#39;t think anyone can claim there is a sure-fire to avoid it.



Whale watching on larger boats


Well, my experience is that I go once almost every year out of Gloucester (Yankee Fleet, which doesn%26#39;t have huge boats) and there%26#39;e only been one time that there was enough wind to make it rough. I don%26#39;t have major problems with motion sickness, but the English Channel catamaran and the occasional amusement park ride has done it for me. The front of the whale-watching boat, which I like the best for viewing, was tossing a bit and I moved to the more stable back and was fine. You%26#39;re out there for the same time from any port, either getting to/from Stellwagen or moving around looking for whales once you get there. The thing would be to call and ask about wind conditions on a given day. The folks who run the boats would rather give you good info about this than clean up after a sick passenger. Do try it, though; a whale right next to you is the most amazing sight. You%26#39;ll never forget it.




The boats from Boston to P-town are pretty big. I don%26#39;t think you%26#39;ll find any bigger in New England. But any time you travel that far off shore, you risk motion sickness.




Thank you for all of your responses. I had been thinking about Gloucester but now I know that if we go at all, it will be from P-Town on one of the larger boats. I appreciate all of your input!




Before you trek all the way to P-town to whale watch, check the websites of the companies. Most have details like boat size. The boats I%26#39;ve been on out of P-town aren%26#39;t any bigger than those in Gloucester.




forgotmypword seems to be talking about the ferry from Boston to P-town, not whale watch boats.




Thanks for pointing this out to me. I%26#39;m starting to think that the weather and wind conditions have more of an influence than the boat since most seem to be fairly similar in size. Thank you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment