Thursday, April 8, 2010

Food items unique to or especially good in Boston?

Hi all, am leaving for Boston tomorrow, will be my first trip there or to New England. I want to try all (or as much as possible) of the food unique or particularly good in the area. Things that come to mind - New England Clam Chowder, Boston Baked Beans, and, well, I%26#39;ve heard Italian is very good in the North End? Not really sure what else I should be on the lookout for so could use some tips. Also would like to not waste the opportunity on things that are just as good in Los Angeles (where I am from).



Food items unique to or especially good in Boston?


The Chowder would be one to try often. Yankee Lobster is my favorite on Northern Avenuue.







Things you don%26#39;t hear much about but I think is really good in Boston would be the chicken pot pies.



Sebastians makes a really good one. I stop at the one on Congress Street in The Seaport area. The crust is always very light and roasted potatoes are the choice.



Food items unique to or especially good in Boston?


Durgin Park in Quincy Market specializes in foods that are notable New England.





AlanM




If you don%26#39;t mind leaving the beaten path, Portuguese food in East Cambridge.





Also, lobster rolls (I like Neptune Oyster%26#39;s version) and fried or steamed clams.





Since you live in L.A. I%26#39;d avoid Mexican and sushi.




We went to Neptune Oyster especially for the (CT-style) lobster roll. Also loved my first-ever profiterole, which I got in a North End pastry shop. Both are foods I%26#39;ll definitely get again the next time we come to Boston.




schrod/scrod (white fish); canolis in the North End, Pizza at Pizzaria Regina, ice cream ... don%26#39;t know if this is still true but Massachusetts used to have the highest per capita consumption of ice cream off all states w/ the other New England states close runner ups.





COFFEE Ice cream (and syrup for frappes, etc) used to be a RI thing, although I think now coffee ice cream is pretty wide spread.





My sil always complains she can%26#39;t get a good bagle in LA ... Finagle is pretty good, Katz%26#39;s in Chelsea and the place in Brookline whose name I forget ... NOT New York bagels, but not %26#39;round bread%26#39; either. ;)




Lobster!!! My favorite places are outside of Boston, Woodman%26#39;s in Essex for example. I know that there has been lots of posts earlier about lobster IN Boston so I hope you can find a great suggestion if you are looking for lobster.




Just enjoy all the bakery goods...whoopie pies especially that we don%26#39;t have in LA!




Does a fluffernutter sandwich count?





I see marshmallow fluff here on the shelves but it isn%26#39;t real Fluff made at the Lynn, MA factory. I dont think you can get it outside New England.




IMO, Boiled Lobster with Steamers and New England Clam Chowder, you cannot have a better New England meal!! Other Bostonian and New England specialties: Fisherman%26#39;s Platter, Lobster rolls, Whole Belly Clam rolls, Lobster pie, Fried clams. Besides seafood -Yankee Pot Roast, Fenway Franks, New England Boiled Dinner, or a coffee Frappe.




Raspberry lime rickey

No comments:

Post a Comment