Saturday, April 3, 2010

My Red Sox Trip Report

I recently went on a road trip to Baltimore to see the Red Sox play the Orioles. My report is on the Baltimore board here:





tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60811-i165-k20237…





Scroll down a few posts for game only info.



Hope it helps others thinking of such an excursion.





I%26#39;m coming up to Fenway in July...just hubby and me.



My Red Sox Trip Report


Voy,





Great post. I%26#39;ve always wanted to go to Camden Yards. It%26#39;s the blueprint that all of the newer parks followed--lots of brick, great sightlines, roomier seats etc. Congrats on seing Manny%26#39;s 500th.





Red Sox Nation is a far-reaching, proud group. You make a great point: if the Baltimore fans are unhappy then they need to start buying more tickets.





As for the classless display from some ';fans,'; well, combine alcohol with the comforts of a ';mob mentality'; and look out! It%26#39;s an interesting study in group dynamics that%26#39;s probably better-suited for another forum.





Anyway, I%26#39;m glad you had fun, and when you%26#39;re in town in July feel free to slip me and the Mrs. those press passes for a game.



My Red Sox Trip Report


Thank you very much for the detailed report. All in all, it seems everyone had a good time. I had the pleasure of seeing the Sox play at Camden Yards myself. Great ballpark. We went there knowing we would be subjected to some torment. It happens at every park for visiting fans. Some worse than others. The two girls with Fenway South shirts should have expected to be ridiculed. That wasn%26#39;t very respectful and their parents weren%26#39;t very bright allowing them to wear such a shirt. Asking 12 year old girls to take their shirts off however is just pedophilic and disgusting. I enjoyed Baltimore when I visited some 8 or 9 years ago, but I won%26#39;t be heading back. It%26#39;s a nice little city for the most part, but a ';been there, seen it'; city to me. Thanks again for the report.




Voy a fabulous post as always, detailed and well-written (and now we know why!!). It is shocking the way folks behave. Exacerbate the situation by serving already drunk folks more beer and then it always gets ugly. Of course, I hope brawls on the field (thanks Coco) and in the dugout (Youk, control yourself) do not become the norm.






The report of the game was interesting. Is all this trouble just a %26#39;local%26#39; fan thing.





We are going to see the Red Sox play the LA angels. Can I assume that my daughters (15 and 17) will be safe?





Knowing the youngest we are likely to have Redsox colours.




Gibraltarr -- you%26#39;re coming to Boston, right? Don%26#39;t worry, you%26#39;ll be fine at Fenway.





The problem in Baltimore is this: 1) Red Sox fans can be found all over the country, not just in New England. 2) Balitmore tickets are much easier to get than Red Sox tickets. 3) Boston to Balitmore is a fairly easy trip. Combine all that, lots of Red Sox fans got to Baltimore and the Orioles fans feel like they%26#39;ve been ';invaded';. Add insulting T-shirts and alcohol and it%26#39;s a recipe for trouble.





If you attend in a game in Boston, Fenway will be filled and the vast majority will be RedSox Fans so all is well ....





I actually went to a Yankees game at Camden Yards. It was April, not sold out and rainy, so people were pretty mellow, but I still heard some verbal insults directed at people decked out in Yankees garb.





Vayagereuse ... I find it somewhat amusing that you were were taken aback by ';Red Sox S*ck'; given that it%26#39;s ';Yankees S*ck'; is frequently seen around Fenway and chanted at games regularly, even if the Yankees aren%26#39;t playing! (Not that I think it%26#39;s right ... just that it%26#39;s common, kwim?)




PS ... Thanks for a great trip report Voyagereuse!!





(Sorry, I should have said that up front.)




Thanks all for your comments... I am going to choose to only remember the good...which was most of the trip...





I wasn%26#39;t taken aback by the negative T-shirts, I just don%26#39;t care for the language. I think it is hateful.





There is also nothing clever about ';Such and such team S*cks.';





I once had an idea for a negative T-shirt but I never went forward with designing it.... probably a good thing...





It was a cartoon picture of Roger Clemens with donkey ears and a long wooden Pinocchio-like nose. The cartoon shows him breaking off the end of his wooden nose and throwing it at a runner going to first. The caption read, ';I never used steroids, honest.';





Anyway, that%26#39;s just between us.




Thanks Voyagereuse for your report....



I used to live in the Baltimore area, twenty years ago before Camden Yards. I would get great seats right before game time even when the Red Sox were playing. Although, I am a Red Sox fan, the Orioles are a close second. I was a big fan of Cal Ripken Jr. I have not been back in 20 years but I would love to return. Baltimore reminds me a lot of Boston especially around the Inner Harbor. I need to make it back and visit Camden Yards.



Fenway really is just as bad with the continuous ';Yankee S---s'; no matter what team is playing and you need to be careful not to get drenched by a spilled beer. I was at Fenway this past Thursday when it became a brawl-fest on the field between the Sox and the Rays. I do not take my young kids to the Red Sox games. I bring them to the Lowell Spinners (Red Sox affiliated class A team) were it really is family friendly.





(I was on the Clemens band wagon for quite a while, I was probably one of the last ones who still believed him...)




The ';Yankees Suck'; thing at non-Yankees game is just embarassing. Hey frat boys, 2002 called and wants its chant back.




Nice trip report. I guess it is a little overwhelming for some fans to see so many visiting team fans. I bet the Baltimore owners are glad to see the Sox visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment