Monday, December 12, 2011

Going to REM show at Tweeter Centre, Mansfield, MA

Hello,





I am new here and REALLY need some help. As I said in my topic, I am coming to MA to go to the REM show. I am flying in on June 12 and leaving on June 15. I currently have two hotel reservations, one in Foxboro (5 minutes from the venue) and one in Quincy.





I was looking at Hotwire and saw a really sweet deal for Cambridge. Has anybody used Hotwire? What was the experience like.





I realize that Boston and environs is really expensive, but I don%26#39;t need anything special as I will only be there 2 1/2 days and it%26#39;s only me. Sincerely appreciate any suggestions.





LJ





Going to REM show at Tweeter Centre, Mansfield, MA


Quincy is probably The Mariott Quincy. This is a nice hotel with free parking. You can easily get into Boston via train. This will take about 30 minutes to get to your concert.







Cambridge would be more difficult to predict. How may stars are you looking at? Cambridge is very nice and easy enough to get to Boston by train. You will be looking at parking charges in a Cambridge Hotel. From here to your concert you are looking at 60-70 minutes for a drive.





Getting out of Tweeter is not the easiest thing in the world.



Going to REM show at Tweeter Centre, Mansfield, MA


Quincy is probably The Mariott Quincy. This is a nice hotel with free parking. You can easily get into Boston via train. This will take about 30 minutes to get to your concert.





Cambridge would be more difficult to predict. How may stars are you looking at? Cambridge is very nice and easy enough to get to Boston by train. You will be looking at parking charges in a Cambridge Hotel. From here to your concert you are looking at 60-70 minutes for a drive.





Getting out of Tweeter is not the easiest thing in the world.







Yup, is the Mariott Quincy.





Am trying to stay as cheaply as possible. My only plan other than going to REM is shopping in Boston. Therefore, I don%26#39;t need anything special. Thought about staying in Newton, Braintree etc., but have no idea what these places are like. Any websites that could help? Also, tending to be weary of Hotwire.com. R the deals really that good, or is there a catch, other than no refund once booked.





As for getting out of Tweeter, I have been told the same by others.





Many thanks,





L




Are you renting a car while your here, or how are you planning to get to the Tweeter Center?




I am renting a car since Tweeter is in the middle of nowhere.




Hotwire is a great way to save lot%26#39;s of money on hotel rooms. The only ';catch,'; besides being nonrefundable, is it does not include the extra amenities but if you booked a hotel directly you would still have to pay them. For example, you get a great Boston hotel for $100.00 (not impossible using Hotwire) you have to park your car but rates at this Hotel charges $40.00 per night to park or you are addicted to the Internet and need to use wireless service, the hotel charges $10 per day. Since you do not know the hotel in advance, you are not able to compare the amenity charges between hotels. Those are the only ';catches'; that I have found by using Hotwire. I love Hotwire and think it is a great way to save a lot of cash! The given rate you pay Hotwire for your bid also includes the taxes, that is another advantage of Hotwire.



Voyagereuse, a poster here in the Boston forums,



to me seems to be the Queen of on line bidding sites like Hotwire and Priceline. IMO, she should be labeled here on TA as ';Local Online Bidding Expert.';




If you are getting a good deal on The Mariott in Quincy, I would seal the deal. Braintree is probably The Sheraton and this is an older hotel with the darkest lobby I have ever seen.




Also, The Tweeter Centre is very nice and I only told you about the exit problem so you could plan acordingly. You either leave 15 minutes early or relax on a bench for an hour after the show. I have seen a few performers here and was very impressed with the sound system.




Hi lyric girl,





I%26#39;m trying to follow along here but I%26#39;m a little confused. Would you rather stay IN Boston instead of the outskirts and pay for parking? Even Cambridge will cost you to park. The sweet deal in Cambridge may be a place like the Hyatt. A fine hotel, but a nightmare location for public transit, so be careful. Just looking at hotwire for your dates, I see the 4 star Quincy Market/Financial District hotel for $129. I%26#39;m almost certain it%26#39;s the Millenium Bostonian. While it has a fantastic location right next to Fanueil Hall, it%26#39;s in the midst of a total renovation and guests haven%26#39;t seemed very pleased with the noise/construction. Thus the cheap rates. There%26#39;s the 4.5 star Intercontinental listing at $193. Very nice hotel in a good location. I%26#39;m sure it%26#39;s $40 a day to park there, so that%26#39;s something to consider.



The 3.5 star for the Back Bay/Copley Square area for $173 appears to be the Back Bay Hilton. Good hotel, great location for the shopping you%26#39;d like to do, but once again, around $35-40 to park. So, when you add everything up, it seems that staying right in Boston is do-able. The Quincy Marriott must have cost you around $200 or more per night with free parking. Staying in the city at those rates with parking should add up to around the same, but you%26#39;ll have the convienence of being here without the 25-30 minute train rides to/from Quincy. Driving in Boston can be confusing. Actually, it is confusing. If you stay in the city, be sure to study where your staying and the easiest way to get to/from your hotel. Driving to The Tweeter from Boston Friday evening will be heavy. Driving back into the city after the show will be easy if you know how to reach your hotel. The only thing I didn%26#39;t think of with the hotel parking was the ';in/out'; factor. Most hotels will whack you twice for parking if you leave with the car and then come back. Might want to look into that.




Millenium Bostonian gets four stars, now I am confused.




Hi Lyric Girl,





First, Remay, thanks for the message directing me here. Your compliment makes me blush. (Yes I am female.)





I have a couple thoughts for Lyric Girl.





First, my daughter goes to Wheaton College in Norton which is in the Mansfield/Foxboro area. So my husband and I stay up there quite a bit.





Our hotel of choice is the Holiday Inn Taunton-Foxboro, 700 Myles Standish Boulevard, Taunton.





This hotel is as nice as many 4* hotels I have stayed in. They have a pool, gym, nice rooms... Free parking! Easy on and off the highway.





I see it online right now for $143.95 a night. You might call the hotel%26#39;s front desk and see if you can get a lower rate since you are one person.





You might think about staying at that Holiday Inn a night and switching to a Boston hotel for a night...just some food for thought.





Onto hotwire! I do use hotwire (and priceline) all the time. I just got back this weekend from Baltimore and I had booked four rooms through hotwire (trip went great, saw Manny hit his 500th HR, but I digress...)





I see a listing for a 4* hotel, Quincy-Market Financial District, amenities include: Fitness, Business, Restaurant, hi Speed Internet. According to the pinned hotwire list on betterbidding.com, this listing matches the Omni Parker House.





According to betterbidding, the Millennium Boston is 3.5*, so Willi, I am not sure why you think it is that... (and dude, I do love you, you are very very helpful to people)





Here is a link to that pinned hotiwre list on betterbidding. (That site is my bible!)





www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=69%26

No comments:

Post a Comment